You know how after a massage, they always say: “Feel free to lie down for a few minutes and relax?” Well, that’s not really my style.
As a recovering people pleaser, of course I say, “Thank you so much,” and pretend like I will, but secretly, I’m worried that they need the massage table for another customer or something, and it’ll annoy them if I stay a minute too long. So, as soon as the door closes, I rush off the massage table, throw on my clothes, and do my best to get out of their hair.
But what if there was a type of massage that could get even me so relaxed, that I wouldn’t care about getting up from the table? What if there was a massage so blissfully peaceful that you feel the effects of it even when you come back home–greeted by excited kids and a messy house?
Enter CBD massage.
Wait…But Isn’t CBD Like…Pot or Something?
Good question. Lots of people have this one. You can see CBD in everything nowadays: from chapstick to gummies to dog treats. It’s a trend right now for a reason; there are tons of perks to using CBD.
But the first question people usually ask is whether CBD is the same thing as marijuana, so let’s get into the mechanics of how CBD is different:
- CBD stands for cannabidiol, which is a chemical found in the Cannabis sativa plant. Other names for this plant are cannabis or hemp.
- Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is a different ingredient found in the cannabis plant, and this is the one that’ll make you high as a kite.
- CBD comes from hemp, a version of the Cannabis sativa plant only potentially containing small traces of THC.
- In comparison with THC, CBD does not contain any psychedelic or psychoactive properties. It also is a non-addictive and non-habit-forming substance.
So, if you want the medicinal benefits of CBD without a high, CBD is a great option for you. And if you’re looking to level up the quality of your massage, a CBD massage is where it’s at!
I’ve Heard of This. What is a CBD Massage, and How Does it Work?
If you’re a regular massage-goer, you may have heard about CBD massages before. It’s usually an add-on offered in the array of other services by massage therapists. It can often get lost in the mix, but I’m here to tell you: you’re gonna want to notice it next time you hit up your local massage parlor.
You know how your masseuse uses lotion on your body during a regular massage? Replace this lotion with CBD oil or CBD lotion, and you have yourself a CBD massage!
Other than that, the routine of how the massage works won’t be any different than a regular massage. There’s nothing you have to do to prepare yourself for the experience besides getting ready to relax in a way that’ll rock your world.
Many times, they’ll let you choose what CBD oil or CBD lotion you’d like for them to use. The CBD oil or CBD lotion can have a cooling, warming, or tingling sensation on your skin, and may feel slightly different than regular lotions or oils–depending on what your masseuse typically uses.
Is There a Science Behind Getting a CBD Massage?
For all you science nerds out there, I get it. You need the facts. So, let’s talk science. There is, in fact, a scientifically discovered connection between the calming nature of CBD oil and CBD lotion and the human body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is an expansive network of chemical signals and cellular receptors. The ECS helps your body with many different functions, including mood, memory, sleep, pain, and hunger. 
The great thing about using CBD oil or CBD lotion to upgrade your massage is that you’re literally enhancing the relaxation effects you’d feel in a regular massage due to the chemical nature of CBD.
You see, CBD sniffs out endocannabinoid molecules in your system and binds with them. I know this sounds super fancy, but basically, through this binding process, CBD signals your ECS system to tap into feelings of relaxation and calm.  To put it more bluntly: it helps you chill the f out!
What are the Health Benefits of a CBD Massage?
Oh, there are many. Your body will be thanking you.
Physical Benefits of Getting a CBD Massage With CBD Oil or CBD Lotion
- Anti-inflammation: A CBD massage will directly lower inflammation, bringing you less pain and more sighs of relief. For people with chronic conditions, such as fibromyalgia or autoimmune disorders, regular CBD massage could bring relief to chronic inflammation.
- Pain Relief: A direct result of the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD oil or CBD lotion is that you’ll feel fairly instant pain relief. In fact, the relief you feel will be so instant, that it’ll definitely be worth getting some of your own CBD oil or CBD lotion to use from home. Whether you have sore muscles from a workout, joint pain, or conditions like arthritis, you’ll find a CBD massage to bring you sweet relief.
- Better Skin: Its hydrating and nourishing properties have made CBD oil or CBD lotion a go-to for many skin-care products. A CBD massage takes this benefit to the next degree and is ideal for people struggling with dry skin, eczema, or psoriasis.
- Improved Sleep Quality: CBD oil or CBD lotion on its own already enhances sleep quality. You better believe that, when paired with a massage, your sleep quality has all the stars aligned in favor of sleeping through the night without any surprise wake-ups.
- Headache Relief: Some have even reported that headaches and migraines are lessened or totally eliminated after getting a CBD massage, which makes sense based on the science of how CBD literally tells our bodies to relax.
- Athletic Recovery: Many athletes enjoy using CBD massages as an integral part of their workout recovery routine. Of course, with its muscle-relieving abilities, a CBD massage will speed that recovery process up for those who need faster relief.
Mental Health Benefits of Getting a CBD Massage
- Less Stress: Let’s face it: we all feel stressed, and our fast-paced, productivity-driven culture doesn’t help our constant efforts to feel a bit more relaxed every now and again. And if we’re honest: most of the time, social media doesn't help either. Taking time out of your schedule for some intentional stress relief is the least you can do for yourself. Why not use a CBD massage to take the edge off that stress?
- Anxiety Reduction: Ever notice those people who just feel like they’re always chill and never phased? Yeah. That’s not me. And that’s okay if it’s not you, because…CBD massages are a thing. They’ll help lower that anxiety and get your body in touch with its inner zen. (It’s in there. I promise!)
- Better Mood: Who’s not in a good mood after a massage? Add a little CBD in there, and it’s pure bliss.
- Relaxation and Mindfulness: Being intentional with your self-care routine is super important because taking care of yourself doesn’t just happen. Purposefully slowing down, listening to the needs of your body, and allowing yourself to be present in a moment are all part of what’s so great about getting a CBD massage!
Aftercare for a CBD Massage
When I’m done with a regular massage, the oily feeling tends to leave me wanting a shower ASAP. But when it comes to a CBD massage, it is recommended to postpone the shower for just a bit. By leaving CBD oil or CBD lotion on your skin, you’re able to reap the calming benefits of CBD for the rest of your day!
Is There An At-Home Version of a CBD Massage?
Yeah, we had to make sure of that one. Because a CBD massage is too good to do just every once in a while. Make CBD massages part of your regular daily routine by following the steps below:
STEP 1: Use the QL Claw as your own personal, at-home massage tool. Trust me, I’ve never used something that feels so similar to actually lying on a massage table and having your muscles worked by a masseuse.
You know what it feels like when your masseuse goes for your trigger point, and it hurts so much, but you know it’ll feel better in the long run. The QL Claw will hit your trigger points in all the same ways, focusing on muscles, such as the:
STEP 2: Treat yourself to some Soothe 750mg CBD Arnica Topical - Ultimate Pain Relief Salve! We couldn’t just let the masseuses have all the good stuff. We thought you deserved to have some of this in your own bathroom cabinet.
This stuff is all-natural, and it’ll ease your back pain without you having to use pills such as Tylenol or Advil. Benefits include:
STEP 3: Pair the QL Claw and Soothe CBD Arnica Topical together, and what do you get: an at-home CBD massage! (See what I did there?)
But seriously, there’s no reason you shouldn’t have access to the benefits of CBD massages whenever your body tells you it might need a chill pill.
So, whether you plan to try this out from home or at your favorite massage parlor:
Listen to your body.
And enjoy the natural, soothing effects of your first CBD massage.